£1m Clean Maritime Innovation call
The Department for Transport (DfT) is calling for expression of interests in a £1m Clean Maritime Innovation competition.
The call will fund industrial research to find innovative ways to reduce maritime emissions and to promote the development of technology innovation in UK maritime.
In January 2019 the government published Maritime 2050, a strategic vision for the future of the maritime sector. The Clean Maritime Plan is the Environment Route Map of Maritime 2050, setting out in more detail how government sees the UK’s transition to a future of zero emission shipping.
To support this, the Clean Maritime Innovation call will fund technology, process innovations or services within mid TRL (TRL 3-7) that offer significant improvements to systems, timings, processes or technology for clean maritime services and operations. This call is administered by MarRI-UK.
Topics include but are not limited to:
* Innovative energy efficiency measures
* Alternative propulsion
* Hazard and safety assessment of new fuels
* Energy systems
* Alternate fuels
Funding awards up to £250K, with a mix of funding levels to support a range of readiness levels.
In the event of there being many proposals that meet the criteria then we have a preference to fund a majority of smaller projects requiring less funding to have a wide range of initiatives supported, and only a few funded at the higher level.
In the event that there are not many proposals submitted, then a greater proportion of proposals could be funded at the higher level, or the money could be reserved for a further bidding round.
Projects we will not fund
We are not funding projects that:
* Are unrelated to reduction of Maritime emissions to air (GHGs and/or air quality pollutants).
* Are approaching market readiness
* Offer only incremental updates to existing abatement options
To lead a project or work alone your organisation must:
* be a UK based business of any size to lead a research project
* be a UK based business of any size, an academic organisation, or a research and technology organisation (RTO) to lead a capital investment project
* Carry out your maritime research or technology development project work in the UK
* Intend to exploit the results from or in the UK
This is open to single business as well as consortia.
Bids from businesses should be match funded – however, research organisations, or fundamental research, can be funded 100% by the call.
Match funding could be in the form of an identical cash injection from the bidder, to match the amount provided by us, or it could in the form of staffing resource to work on the project. It could also be to fund some of the project, in the case of smaller business, but receive the bulk of the funding from us. Large businesses will receive up to 50% of project costs, with small business receiving up to 70%.
In any case a business case for how they will match fund, or why they cannot, should be submitted alongside the bid.
For more information please visit:
Registration closes 25th October 2019.